July 26, 2010

Unconditional Love

I just spent the day with someone I used to know everything about. It was the weirdest experience. I suppose once you're that close to someone, no matter how much you change, or how much that person changes, you still have those years in common. We still had those little things, like those posters that used to hang in her room, and the Bible she let me borrow, and I ended up keeping, in common. There were just little things that I knew what she was talking about. And even though she knows nothing about me now, and I know nothing about her anymore, deep down, somehow, we know each others souls. Because we've told each other deep and secret things at the urging of 2am in the morning. And we've laughed so hard we've cried together. And we've cried so hard, we had to laugh. And even though our relationship obviously didn't work out, and at times I wondered if it was even real, I think I know that there were moments when I have seen that girls deepest being. And that no matter how we want to feel about each other now, that can't change the fact that we know we have much in common. It's harder to not feel love for someone that you know their deepest struggles and turmoils. And no, not passionate love, but the love Christ has for us. A sort of unconditional love, even though this love isn't quite the same, and has many flaws. It is a love that is impossible to avoid. Even though there are things that just stand in the way, we can't help it. It's as though, on the inside, we speak the same language. But I think it was healing. Being together reminds me of the good times, so that I no longer dwell on the bad. Reminds me of the truth, so I forget the lies. And though it will never go back, and I can never feel the same way about her, I can move on with my life. Knowing that I have played a role in her life, and she in mine. And that we have touched each others souls, and been in the right place at the right time for one another, even though it was several years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment