July 5, 2010

Review of "Young Victoria" 2009


I love time period pieces. Especially of England back in the late 1700's early 1800's. Victoria began her reign in 1837, and most of the movie takes place around 1836 to 1840. The movie was very educational on her life. I love the kinds of movies that make historical figures such as Queen Victoria into real people. I was able to take a peek into her life through this movie. The period clothing and buildings were lovely. The pace was pretty quick, and even though the movie required your attention, and thought, it wasn't too complicated or confusing. It really portrayed her as a strong woman, who is unsure of what she is supposed to do. She was about 17 at the beginning of the movie, and I understand how she is caught between being a girl, and being a woman. She struggles with trying to show everyone that she is capable of the role that is hers, even though she is young. I really felt like it drew on my emotions, when Sir Conroy is yelling at her, I was surprised how calm she was towards him. He truly infuriated me.

The second half of the movie was more of Victoria's struggle balancing normal everyday relationships like daughter and wife, with the role of queen. A major theme was Victoria and Albert's love story. I loved them as a couple, cried when they fought, laughed when they were happy. My favorite quote of the movie was when Albert is speaking to Victoria about the assassination attempt on her life:
"First, I am replaceable and you're not. Second, you're the only wife I ever will have. You're my whole existence and I will love you till my last breath."

The acting was not remarkable, and at times Victoria (Emily Blunt) seemed incapable of making any other face, but her gloomy, moody one. But then Albert (Rupert Friend) drew out a spark in her. Their chemistry was beautiful, and I think Friend really made the movie. He truly captured his struggle with his role in life. At the beginning it was his love for Victoria, and fear of her being taken advantage of, or worse, forgetting about him. And towards the end it was his struggle of being the Queen's husband. Of feeling useless. I really loved the movie, and would recommend it to anyone who likes the time period, a love story, or English politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment