July 29, 2010

My Love of Jane and Miss Heyer


Georgette Heyer is like a drug. Once you read one you must read them all. You're addicted. You have to finish the book. You have to finish all you can by Heyer. She is truly remarkable. I love Jane Austen, but I have often bemoaned the fact that she never wrote more novels. Of course, her novels are superior in quality to Miss Heyer's, but Miss Heyer definitely has quantity, if not the same quality. Jane (I can not refer to her as Miss Austen, I know her far too well) wrote with a complexity and poignancy not quite on the same level as Miss Heyer. But both incorporate a humor and love for the ridiculous. Miss Heyer's novels are definitely reminiscent of Jane's, and often they are a mixture of Jane's tales. But Jane will always hold that foremost place in my heart and soul. I love them both, each in a different way. For each of their specific qualities. They each feed my imagination in a similar manner, and each holds high standards for their work. It is impossible for me to shun one, or the other, I need them both. I love them both. And I'm such a fast reader that I will never have to choose between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment