July 8, 2010

Review of "Isabella" by Loretta Lynda Chase


I must say that when I began this novel, I was a little wary, yet at the same time very ready to be drawn into it. After having started two novels (one which was bland and immature, and the other which used so many large words I couldn't take it seriously), I wanted something that would be quick and interesting. Well, "Isabella"was definitely both of these things.

The plot was of the usual Regency type, involving scandal, fortunes, wards, and fortune hunters. There was nothing really new or interesting that was added to these things. It called to mind a few Georgette Heyer novels and definitely "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. The whole idea of a very rich man, and his nemesis, a fortune hunter, competing for a smart, yet plain girl. The characters were a bit one dimensional. At by the end my favorite character was that of Isabella's mother, Maria. I was highly amused by her take on life. This novel also detailed the inner workings of the character's minds a bit much for my taste. I feel that these thoughts would have been better left unwritten. Or even un-insinuated as they were. There were a few scenes that were just too much. I think it is because, the joy, to me, at least, of a Regency is the innocence at least of the relationship, if not necessarily the characters. And that innocence was lacking in this novel.

I have no great dislike for this novel. Yet, I have no great liking for it either. It wasn't a complete waste of my time, but I feel I would not be lacking anything right now if I had not read it. It's a book for when you have nothing else better to read. But do not go to any trouble to run out and read this book. Or you will be much disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment